Speak No Evil
Accidentally summoned by Blythe, Blaire finds herself stuck on the surface world, although she's made herself quite comfortable in Blythe's heart and home. With other people though? not so much. Her life on the surface world is a stark contrast from the cold, quiet, and quite cynical one in the Underworld, not that it's much to miss.
One fateful evening in Myrefall, naive Blythe was attempting what should have been a basic level divination ritual and made a grave mistake. As a result, Blaire was pulled from the lavish life she lived in the Underworld, summoned and bound by contract to follow through with the young witch's desires. It is not uncommon for demons to be summoned, although those who do are shunned and looked down upon in their communities. Experimenting with black magic and the Underworld is a dangerous thing and rarely innocent in intention. Even more so for a demon of Blaire's caliber, posessing the potential to decimate cities and then some, not that poor Blythe knew what she was doing. Not long after she was summoned, the marks on Blaire's body are promptly burned into Blythe's skin as well, a short-lived but intense pain.
Confused by the following events, Blythe tries not to panic and see where she went wrong, because clearly this wasn't right. Lacking the patience to watch the young witch struggle to figure it out, Blaire opens one of the myriad of nearby books and simply points it out, putting extra emphasis on the fact that she cannot return to the Underworld until her task has been fulfilled. Unfortunately, without a task in mind Blaire is stuck with her for better or for worse.
Blaire is the demon equivalent of royalty in the underworld, given her position based on bloodline and the strength of her abilites. The markings on her body are extensive, stretching across her torso and all her limbs (in comparison to other demons with merely a singular mark). Her and her two younger sisters were regarded highly and had, for the most part, free reign as they pleased, only below Delphine, the Underworld's queen so to speak.
Blaire and her sisters each represent part of "See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil". Blaire represents Speak no evil, which is why she is mute and lacks a mouth. Nerine is Hear no evil, and appropriately is deaf. She communicates most through signing, similar to Blaire. Emmeranne is See no evil and is blind, lacking eyes or any other method of sight. Blaire's sisters are twins, not much younger than Blaire herself, but definitively ranked below ever so slightly nonetheless. There is a level of admiration they feel towards her, but well within bounds of what is common in the Underworld.
Wanting to see the most good in her possible, Blythe aims to help rehabilitate her new demon friend and get her accustomed to living in Myrefall. Unable to send her back with something as simple as asking her to make a sandwich, or anything of that magnitude, the two of them form an unlikely pair for what may be forever. Blythe warms up to her quickly, whereas Blaire is anything but cooperative and willing. It takes a long while and close quarters for her to let her guard down around Blythe as well as generally abstain from her normal demon urges (ie: random killing, etc.)
By the time the comic's storyline kicks off, Blythe and Blaire are quite the duo, with Blaire having developed a large soft spot for her small, pink now girlfriend. Although she merely tolerates the others in Myrefall for the most part, she is too partial to her new life with Blythe to return to the Underworld to rule if given the chance.
- Blaire's body is covered in markings showcasing her rank and ability as a demon. These marks are visible on Blythe as a consequence of the summoning ritual.
- The fire above her horns is so cold it burns if you touch it.
- She has a small fluffy goat tail, and droopy goat ears as some of her demon features.
- Her face is more that of a mask with four eyes, no real nose, and no mouth. She cannot speak. No one knows what may lie underneath, or if she is even able to take it off.
- Her name is a nod to the Blair Witch Project.
- She dislikes most small creatures on the surface world, but will forever hold a soft spot for rats. Something about their ability to cause pestilence and plague resonates with her.
- Her favorite rat belongs to Theia, a sea witch, making her Blaire's favorite of Blythe's friends because of it.
- Knowing Blythe is a very physically affectionate person, Blaire will try to mimic typical acts of love. For example, she doesn't have a mouth, necessary for kisses, but will rest her head against Blythe's similar to a cat to get the sentiment across.
- In fact, many of her mannerisms after acclimating to the surface world are actually quite cat like in nature.
- She struggles to find decent clothing in Myrefall, but has become fond of wearing oversized shirts. It takes her a while to adjust to more casual wear.