"You can’t trust just anyone," he said with a tone more serious than Jonathan had gotten used to. "Looks can be deceiving, especially here. "
Jonathan's new roommate. An aspiring musician and one of the school prefects, Claude is a person both adored and feared by the other boys of the school. His good looks and strong-willed nature have gained him a lot of respect, but not everyone likes him, as he is also known to be fickle, unpredictable and even cruel towards others. However, he is a good and charismatic talker, and is usually very careful with what he says, his constitution giving away the Lovelace family's high social standing.
Claude is hard to read and it's often difficult to tell when he is being sincere and when not, which often unsettles people and makes it harder for them to approach him. There are also plenty of rumors surrounding him, and most of them also seem to be true: it's no secret to anyone Claude is constantly breaking the rules prohibiting romantic displays of affection. However, due to his high social rank within the school's own internal hierarchy, Claude usually can do whatever he pleases with little to no consequences, which infuriates many, and he has recently acquired the privileges of a school prefect.
However, because Claude puts up an air of intimidation, he doesn't actually seem to have friends of his own at all, and many feel like it's unwise to get too close to him anyway: he isn't known to be a particularly genuine person, and seems to put himself above others in everything he does. Likewise his emotions are volatile and even clumsy at times, and it's questionable just how good Claude's social skills are beyond the superficial front he puts in order to get by; people don't really know what Claude really is like deep down, for better or worse.
There is undoubtedly a lot on those narrow shoulders he has to carry - a family name, prefect duties and the wish to make name as a musician - but nobody knows how to help him, and why should they care? Claude has made everyone feel like he is there for their entertainment, despite the things he is capable of doing if you cross him; he is regarded as the plaything of the school, whether or not this is the actual truth.
Claude is a boy of a delicate build: he is small in size and has narrow and light bones, oftentimes making him look even smaller than he is. He is young and still growing, but his overall features even as an adult remain very balanced, lean and noticeably feminine but not curvy. It’s easy to tell from his build he doesn’t concern himself with building any muscle mass, and as such his general build is scrawny, although not unhealthy. His skin is light and he lacks moles entirely, but he has a couple of scars on his back from the time he had a chicken pox as a child.
He has a slightly wavy, peach blonde hair that reaches his mid-back when opened, but he usually keeps it tied up on a low pony tail. His fringe goes towards his right side, but never actually hides his right eye, and the sides of his hair are very wavy and hanging loose against the sides of his head. His hair texture is smooth and fluffy, making it look full but not thick. Claude usually wears either black or red ribbon to keep his hair tied, but the colours tend to vary, same for the width of the ribbons. He has an average sized, slightly pointed nose and somewhat sharp face shape. His lips are noticeably red in colour.
Claude’s most noticeable feature are his eyes: they’re very light blue in colour, often highlighting his pupils. He has sanpaku eyes with the lower white area of his eye always showing unless he is looking down. Added together with his permanent narrow eye shape, Claude’s eyes tend to come across as unsettling and intense to most people (Leon refers to them as cat eyes). Although his eyelashes are sometimes drawn to be the same colour as his hair, in actuality they are darker and very noticeable both because of their length and thickness. It’s noticeable the corners of his lower eyelashes are particularly long.
He is not particularly expressive and his basic expression usually is either a cynical-looking frown or a mischievous smirk. He moves in a very graceful manner and has a tendency to give people suggestive looks, but when he is not putting on an act, Claude’s gestures and positions can come across as surprisingly stiff and serious compared to other boys his age.
He was initially forced to play the piano as was common for those of his standing, but after some years Claude discovered flute and switched to it, finally finding genuine joy in music and playing. He also attended choir for 6 years, although was not all too enthusiastic about it and did it mostly for a good public image.
- Average piano player but an excellent flute player; considered good for his age. He is also interested in composing and does it sometimes on his free time, although appears to be particularly demanding of himself and scrapping most of his even promising looking notes.
- One of the best of his class in study subjects, a result of his need to overachieve
- Excellent self control, although it also makes him incredibly demanding of both himself and others, which nearly always isn't a good thing
- Claude is generally very eloquent; capable and careful with his words, and together with his charisma he can make quite a speaker when he needs and wants to be. However, the downside of this is that Claude is known to be somewhat untrustworthy; an adept liar people don't want to depend too much on or let Claude have power over them.
- Despite his lack of physical strength, Claude actually has a very good stamina: he walks so much every day it has made him surprisingly enduring. However, the fact still stands that he has little to no physical power in him, and his body itself is small and weak: he cannot withstand being hit without moderate to severe damage, and thus he avoids physical fights and feats like a plague.
- Surprisingly practical for an aristocrat, although the reason for why he is like this is not something Claude remembers with much fondness.
- Music is really important to him and one of the only outlets he has for his feelings, as he often tends to lack in ways to express them or sort them out.
- Very orderly and likes to keep things arranged; dislikes chaos and needs to have a control of his own situation and things around him, often also including other people. He gets very stressed out and agitated if he can't have a proper control of his surroundings.
- He has a tendency to explain everything he does to himself, as if to reassure himself that what he is doing is right and the smart thing to do, regardless if it's the truth.
- As the middle child of his family who always felt like he didn't get enough attention from home, Claude tends to seek external validation from other people, often in a form of affection from other boys. He also craves for physical contact, hardly shying away from any situation where he can possibly get that. He is very proud, however, and doesn't want to be considered too cheap in his actions, and does need to keep the risk of getting caught and his family name tarnished in mind.
- He is a bit touchy about the fact he looks like a girl, even if he doesn't think of it as a bad thing per se. This is also the reason he doesn't like people seeing him with hair open, as it makes him feel self conscious.
- Despite what he generally is like, Claude is surprisingly responsible: he actually carries out his prefect duties and does his school work in time.
- Can't handle extreme stress in any other than destructive way, usually damaging both himself and those around him in some way or another. He really is a mess honestly and always at least a little stressed out.
- A distant relative to Ilja from his mother's side and Alois from his father's.