OC trash with a lowkey uniform fetish and a morbid interest in history.
OC settings: Sci-Fi • WW1 • WW2 • Age of Sail
Star Trek • Star Wars • Dunkirk • Peaky Blinders • 1917 • Journey's End
The Man in the High Castle • Turn: Washington's Spies
• War POV: Anti-war; I'm interested in individual experiences, daily life and the psychological impact of war.
• Research for historical plots is ongoing so there may be some mistakes.
• I'm still refining my style, for an accurate log see this journal on DA.
• Do not kin, RP, use my OC as a faceclaim or copy their info.
• Do not add my OC's to your wishlist, they are not for sale or trade.
I'm flying out to my Christmas contract tomorrow so it's time to throw up a hiatus notice. I finish on the 10th Jan but I'm expecting a night flight home due to the location I'm flying home from. As usual I will need a week or so to get back into the swing of things.
Also still looking for OC groups (particularly those favoring historical OC's), I haven't used Discord at work yet so idk how usable it'll be on shitty sattalite wifi. I'd strongly prefer an 18+ userbase. I enjoy the servers I've come across so far but I'm looking for a few more!
Also friendly reminder I have my own 18+ server for historical OC's, info here.
I did a 2019 overview this year, since I work away so many months of the year some months are doubled up. Top left: first drawing of the year, bottom right 2 drawings are how my style currently looks.
And below is my current WIP! I was hoping to have it finished (or close to it) by now but joys of an aforementioned dental issue causing extreme tiredness /sighs. I'm using it to practice consistency with my current technique and it's gonna be an OC overview/TH icon update.
Row 1: Sci-Fi OC's. Pictured: Raven, Lucian (golden oldies, been about since 2006-7), Oscar and Werner
Row 2: WW2 OC's. Pictured: Hendrix (sona) & Beck (a personal fave). Lines I'd started on were for Max.
Row 3: WW1 OC's in their intended setting. These boys get dumped into my sci-fi plot in canon but I also like to write them in their intended time period (1914-1916). Pictured: Jasper (secondary/vent sona) and William.
Row 4: Age of Sail OC's. Pictured: Francis (personal fave) & Owen (problematic fave but I love him anyway).
Main goals for next year:
- Continue working on problem areas (anatomy - specifically hands and clothing folds).
- Work on rotating stuff. Visualizing things from different angles is still something I find tough though I'm still building on my visual library.
- Make a habit of doing 12 sets of gestures a day, aim is to figure out body movements & using gestures to help diversify my poses.
- Draw my OC's acting/doing things and interacting with their environments (I still defaulted to standing around poses to test stuff out and practice workflows and ended up stuck with poses/feeling frustrated and like my art's lacking because of it).
- Continue to work on trying to figure out colour. Started on this a bit but it's still too easy to stick to plain White Void lighting rather than challenge myself with mood/cinematic lighting. It also notices idk what I'm doing, oof.
- Continue to refine style & practice consistency. Was supposed to be this year's goal but I kept feeling frustrated with how my style looked, like something about it was off. It needed a lot of experimenting to get to where I wanted to be.
- Research: Get in-depth research for all plots done to a decent standard. I'm at an annoying impasse where I can't do more than off-duty interactions without having to do a load of research first. Ideally, I'd like to have all of these done before I start uni but it's probably going to be more realistic to get a few plots decently researched. Current project is my WW2 plot.
- Plot Development: I wanna get a guide with breakdowns of scenes I consider canon down. I don't want something too restrictive but because I try to keep stuff in my head I keep repeating ideas and forgetting what I have/haven't worked on.
- Character Development: Nearly there! Some OC's need to be updated to fit current canon and 4 are on WIP bios. I've also got 3 that still need a face.
- Character Dynamics: Something I'm starting to consider more in-depth. I know who gets on with who and how the dynamics work "at present" of any given plot but my plots span over a period of 3-5 years and people's relationships develop/shift over time. I've got a few dynamics worked out, just need to sit down and work on everyone else.
- Worldbuilding (Sci-Fi plot): A lot of it's already done but it does need to be retconned to fit current canon. I also need to work on typing it up to a clearer format.
- Fics: It's gonna take me a while to tidy up & expand on writing I have done. In the mean time I'm planning on making master files on Toyhouse for each of my plots and uploading the original vignettes/headcanons that I used to get the ideas down.