+1 I think this is a really neat idea!
I’m currently exploring a website that has a bunch of cool features for writers that world-build. And one of the features was a family tree you could add characters to.
So that got me thinking. What if Toyhou.se had a family tree option? Like links, but you could connect many characters at once. And each icon would have a space that would hold names, and it would automatically generate familial relationships between the characters based on where you put them?
And you wouldn’t have to put in every generation to connect them. Like, I have one character, and then another who is descended from the first; so I could just use a “descended from” option instead of uploading every generation in between.
(And one more suggestion aaa) What if we could make slots on the family tree without putting a character IN the slot? Say I have two characters who have the same dad, but the dad doesn’t have a page; I could make the “father” slot to connect them, but I wouldn’t put an actual character link in
Idk. It’d probably be a lot of coding, but wouldn’t it be cool? :0
Edit 9/25/18: more ideas for this
- Able to name the entire tree (ex: “the Falls”)
- Able to add other people’s characters
- Automatically remove a character link if transferred but won’t remove the actual slot
- Option to put in gender so links can be gender-appropriate (ex: niece, nephew, nibling)
- “Adopted/foster/etc” options
- “Outliers;” put slots for unspecified members of the family
- Be able to make links private/authorized/certain list so they appear as “outliers” to all but them and you
- Family tree “toggle”; if one character marries into the family, you could click a button and you’d be taken to THEIR family tree.
- Option to make “hierarchical trees” for organizations rather than families
- Able to add characters to multiple family trees
PLUS 1 MILLION...... YES
i crave more features for links ....... plus my characters are pretty family oriented
it does sound like a bit of coding, but even something vaguely like this... pls
Kadrina - thanks!
zinnia - IKR?? Just using regular links gets super annoying because you can only do one relationship at a time. Before i used Links though I just used the character descriptions to put links in and that was even worse ;;
But a family tree option would be really cool! Like what if you could actually name the tree? And you could add other people’s characters to it if necessary?
+1 that sounds awesome! id totally be down for that- i dont have a Ton of families, but i can see this being helpful! (also, what website are you looking at? i need a good worldbuilding site )
I love this idea, and I'd really appreciate if there was an option for "not biologically related" somewhere in the mix, as I've got a lot of orphans/otherwise adopted characters.
+1 i LOVE this idea!!!! oh my god this would be super helpful and awesome and hhhhmmMM
like the person above me said, i'd be really happy if this is what ended up replacing links! in that case, it would be cool to be able to link characters who aren't actually part of the family too, and then be able to choose what you'd like to see (only family, only non-family, etc.).
and just scrolling through the posts here there's a ton of really good ideas!! man i love everything about this concept, i hope it happens. ;___;