I've wavered about making this thread for a while because I'm not sure if it's too close to other games, but there can never be too many opportunities to say nice things about other people's work, I think! :')
In this game, you'll post a link to a literature you've written here on Toyhouse that you're proud of, and the person below will tell you what they like about it! In turn, you'll tell the person who posted above you what you like about theirs.
11/29: The rules have been updated to try to prevent the thread from getting stuck so often!
- I don't want to impose a specific word limit, but try to pick literatures that aren't too overwhelmingly long to read: if you have a whole novel here on Toyhouse, just link a chapter! If the person below loves it, they can read the rest in their own time, but they're not obligated to for this game.
- Please write at least a few sentences for the person above you, and write something of substance! You don't have to write a dissertation on the piece, but write the kind of response that you'd love to receive! What about the piece did you like?
- UPDATE: You can post content-warned or mature-rated literatures, but you must mark that they are, and if at all possible, PLEASE LINK an all-ages lit as an alternate option in your post, to prevent the thread from becoming stuck if minors want to participate (or if people might just be uncomfortable with the subject matter). It's also OK to post alternate options for any reason! If you'd really prefer your first lit to be reviewed, it's fine to say that and even post a time limit if you want; For example: "I'd really love feedback on Lit A, but if a day passes, Lit B is fine as well!"
- UPDATE: Let at least two people go before posting again. If you post in this thread often, try to vary the lit you post! If the thread gets stuck for a week or more, it's fine to post again even if only one person has gone since your last post.
- UPDATE: All lit posted in this thread should be hosted on Toyhouse, via the literature feature! This is for a few reasons, but if you disagree with this policy, send me a message with your reasoning. I'm open to reconsidering this!
- UPDATE: Claim first so you have time to read the person's lit and craft your response, and tag the person you're responding to when you claim, to make sure they see it!
- Be nice!
- Favorite Written Work From the User Above!
- Say something nice about the above user's excerpt (the same idea, but for shorter excerpts!)
- Critique The Written Work Above (if you also want criticism!)
- I Wanna See A Story...
I chose to read through Episodes, so I could get a better feel for your writing with a longer piece! I thought it was really good! You certainly sell the very melancholic nature of the piece, thanks to the tone of Ben’s commentary/narration. It has a flat, empty quality to it and I do mean that in a good way, I promise. It totally sells that he’s going through such an emotionally exhausting time of his life and that he feels so lost and weary.
It carries over to all of the different oddities that happen to him as well. His loss has left him confused and reality is losing meaning for him. The slow pace of him just stumbling around, seeing all of this hazy, perplexing imagery does a good job of showing that he’s really having trouble keeping his thoughts in check.
The ending is nice and simple too. Sometimes you do just have that moment of realization, of clarity and everything is suddenly back to normal. Although really, it isn’t.
Overall, it’s a good piece! I thought it was a good read!
Hoh man hOH MAN I JUST, I READ THROUGH CANDLE QUEEN AND LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I LOVE THE IMAGERY AND SUBTLE HINTS ABOUT HER PAST TRAUMA!!! I really REALLY enjoyed the internal struggle "(You’re only fourteen and yet…), (You cannot get upset Mathilda! The entire country is watching you!)" like, I actually feel her struggle so much! It was such a tension-filled piece as well! "She's holding on, oh god is she gonna snap? Get it together girl but the fanfic's right, she's just 14 IS THIS IT WILL SHE SNAP?????" Like I seriously felt so much in such a relatively short story! Hell, it didn't even FEEL like a short story, I genuinely felt like I had gone through what Mathilda was feeling as she sat on the throne! (Did I mention the imagery because I AM W E A K FOR THEM!!!!) AND FINALLY THAT END LINE!!!
"The candles were laughing at her, but it wasn’t something she wasn’t used to anyway."
LIKE shjfdkfg I absolutely love ending on this, "I can deal with this, I've done it before anyway" tone like it always feels good but at the same time sad? Like you know she's been dealing with this for so long, but hey what's another year or two or more right? It's just, I can't even describe how much I love and appreciate that kind of end like it speaks to me? "Yo Mathilda's gonna get through this, albeit with exhaustion but still she will get through, what about you?" sdfgkl
Thank you for letting me read such a wonderful piece!!!
Haha, most of my literature here are fanfics, since they're almost always for fandom OCs BUT you don't necessarily have to know the fandom to understand! Any of them can be read as a stand alone (particularly, if you chose Adventure in Askr or Reply Compilations) and if there ARE connected stories, they're usually marked with (I / II).
Alright, Don't Wake Me Up was probably my absolute favourite story in such awhile! It was short but I think it was effective and powerful to lure me into reading more of it. I got a eerie feeling as reading this, watching somebody going down the mental illness drain after a death is interesting, and sad to see. I liked how you've portrayed and described stuff, and I especially enjoyed how you show how everybody's experiences with the deaths and such are different. It brings out the differences with the characters. Also I listened to the song, and man I love that song.
I've only got 1 story so far, The People Story episode 1. I'd appreciate it if somebody gave it a read and gave me their honest opinions. (Criticism is welcomed if you wanna comment some on it)
PRESENT TENSE! It might sound like a dumb thing to get excited about but most stuff is written in past tense. I have an enormous soft spot for present tense stories so honestly, this is a gem <3
I love how easy to read your story is! It's simple but so effective at hooking you right in; no need for anything overly complicated or flowery. Just a good flow of words and excellent characterisation to make it enjoyable! I'm really not good at the technical side of writing so reviewing things can be difficult but damn, it was just so much fun to read! Also the way you write dialogue is great because I'm a sucker for well written dialogue and it really adds so much to the characters and story. It really makes Henry and gang feel like real, developed human being. Like, they could be real and standing in front of me right now!!
Also can we please appreciate Henry's "I got my coffee. I’m prepared for anything!" because we know that feeling. Henry is all of us.